The maximum speed limit for Arroyo Seco Parkway was 45 mph when it opened on December 30, 1940. Taking the Fair Oaks Avenue exit in South Pasadena was easily manageable – even when the off-ramp was backed up with vehicles.
Soon after its completion, however, the Arroyo Seco Parkway was dubbed the “Arroyo Speedway” due to speeding vehicles. When rounding the curve at high speed from Pasadena, the off-ramp materialized suddenly becoming a blind exit ramp for many motorists. Stopped vehicles in the inner lane trying to exit the Arroyo Seco created a particularly hazardous condition.
To avoid collisions at the infamous South Pasadena off-ramp, the Fair Oaks exit was relocated further up the Arroyo Seco Parkway (before the Raymond Hill curve), and is permanently rerouted to arrive at Fair Oaks Avenue alongside the original off-ramp.
Today, the off-ramp is fenced off on Fair Oaks Avenue in South Pasadena.
The original concrete off-ramp is still visible behind the fence.