Please note that this list may be frequently updated. If you know of any events confirmed to be cancelled or postponed that are not included, kindly email us at email@example.com, thank you.
Tuesday, March 17
- The 2020 San Gabriel Valley Water Forum issued a letter informing those wishing to attend that the event will be pushed back to a later date:
- Dear San Gabriel Valley Leader and Water Forum Supporter: The 2020 San Gabriel Valley Water Forum, scheduled for April 16, 2020, has been POSTPONED to protect our communities and stakeholders from the threat posed by the novel coronavirus.
Monday, March 16
In a sweeping decision, California state governor Gavin Newsom called for the closures of bars, media centers and restaurants for dining-in. Grocery stores, hospitals, and some government facilities remain open.
Following suit, shortly after Newsom’s asseveration, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti made a midnight press conference proclamation to do just the same.
Friday, March 13
With the abruptly enormous slew of companies, organizations, and districts responding to the growing concerns over the COVID-19 virus in recent days, many events involving large gatherings have been cancelled in order to accommodate the suggested policy of ‘social distancing’ as a preventative measure against the now internationally identified pandemic.
The San Gabriel Valley, including Pasadena and, unfortunately, South Pasadena, is no exception, with a majority of scheduled events being cancelled for the aforementioned reason.
California State Governor Gavin Newsom, after declaring a state of emergency, said this about the situation: “Changing our actions for a short period of time will save the life of one or more people you know. That’s the choice before us…Not holding that concert or community event can have cascading effects – saving dozens of lives and preserving critical health care resources that your family may need a month from now.”
Here is a list of events that have been cancelled thus far:
- From South Pasadena School District Superintendent Dr. Geoff Yantz: 3-12-2020
The SPUSD Board of Education approved an emergency resolution that enables us to quickly make changes to the school year calendar based upon the coronavirus pandemic. After a great deal of discussion about how to best keep students and staff safe, we have developed an immediate plan of action for our community.
We are moving the District’s scheduled spring break recess earlier and extending the overall length of the break by five days. Therefore, the District’s spring break recess will be Monday, March 16 through
Friday, March 27 Friday, APRIL 3. This change may result in adding instructional days to the end of the school year if required by the California Department of Education.
The SPUSD Extended Day Program will follow the same schedule and the program will not be in session during these dates. Parents/guardians should make immediate plans for times when the program is not in session.
All SPHS CIF athletic training and competitions will be suspended during this time effective immediately.
SPUSD will provide guidance soon about supplementary resources, digital and non-digital, that can be used at home to review and reinforce knowledge and skills learned this school year. Students and families will not be required to use these resources during spring break but are welcome to do so. Students should take any books, supplies, and personal belongings home with them after school on Friday, March 13. Schools will not be open during the spring break recess.
We realize this is a time of uneasiness for many students and families and will be in touch with additional updates before the end of the spring break recess. We continue to keep safety as our number one priority and remain committed to the well-being of our students and staff.
All school events in the South Pasadena Unified School District cancelled, including:
- Marengo Jog-a-Thon (CANCELLED) – Friday, March 13
- Father’s Follies (CANCELLED) – Friday, March 13
NOTE: SPHS sporting events will go on as planned, click HERE to read more about the regularly scheduled games with no spectators.
More information on the schools HERE
City Events (South Pasadena)
- April 4 WISPPA Meeting (CANCELLED)
- Dear WISPPA members,
- Effective Monday, March 16, all city facilities will be temporarily closed to members of the public except for public meetings of the City Council, the Cultural Heritage Commission, Planning Commission and Design Review Board, which will continue to meet to ensure the approval of projects move forward as required by law. See City email below for more information
- In addition, most of the upcoming events listed in our newsletter have been cancelled or postponed. Go to our website events page to see the most recent changes.
- Attached is a summary of important information regarding the Conoravirus (shared by member Ellen Daigle).
- Farmer’s Market (CANCELLED) – Thursday, March 19
- SPMS Main Event Poker (CANCELLED) – Saturday, March 14
On behalf of the SPMS Athletic Booster and the D.U.D.E.S., many thanks for your commitment to the 6th Annual SPMS Main Event Poker Tournament.Following the lead of SPUSD and the City of South Pasadena, we will be postponing the Tournament until the Fall. Without question, we value and appreciate the support we’ve received from the community and we truly believe this is the right direction to take.Our sponsors – including the City of South Pasadena, Mamma’s Pizza, Craftsman Brewing Company, Green Street Restaurant, Jones Coffee Roasters and Nichole Dunville with Coldwell Banker Reality – have committed to supporting the Tournament and we’re all looking forward to a time when we can relax and really enjoy the evening.We are working quickly to identify a new date and will keep you posted. If you have any questions or if a new date represents a challenge, please don’t hesitate to reach out.Again, we’re grateful for your support of SPMS and we thank you for your understanding.Stay well –Bill Buckley, SPMS Athletic Booster Board
- Eclectic Preview Party (CANCELLED) – Sunday, March 15
- SPPF’s South Pasadena Birthday Celebration (CANCELLED) – Sunday, March 15
- Eclectic Music Festival (POSTPONED) – April, 25. More information HERE
- Tiger Bingo (CANCELLED) – Saturday, March 14
- The following statement is from the SPHS Tiger Bingo Committee and Booster Club:
To our dear friends, we are sad to announce that until further notice, SPHS Tiger Bingo will be suspended due to the corona virus. We have taken this necessary step because we want you to stay safe and healthy. We hope this will not last for an extended period of time, but we will not reopen until we are sure that it is safe.This Saturday is our scheduled St. Patrick’s Day celebration, so although we will not be open for bingo you can come by between 2:30 and 6:30 to pick up your free corned beef dinner, and a free dauber (so you’ll be ready when we reopen!).Thank you all for being loyal Tiger Bingo players. Stay safe, and we hope to see you again soon.David Zeiger
- The following statement is from the SPHS Tiger Bingo Committee and Booster Club:
- St. Joseph’s Table at Holy Family (CANCELLED) – Thursday, March 12
- Taste of South Pasadena (POSTPONED)
South Pasadena Library
- Closed beginning March 16
- Due dates for all items will be extended to April 15
- Reference services will be provided by phone (626-403-7350) Mondays between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.; Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.; Fridays between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. and Saturdays between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
South Pasadena Senior Services
- Senior Center will be closed beginning March 16
Senior Lunch Program to continue with the following modification:
– Box lunches will be provided for pick up or delivery only
- Dial-a-Ride program to continue with the following modification:
– Rides will only be provided for essential trips, including doctor’s appointments and grocery store or pharmacy trips
The City recommends that seniors stay active, healthy and connected through eating well and exercising at home.
South Pasadena Recreation
- CampMed program to remain open
- Facility reservations, programs and classes to be cancelled until the end of March
South Pasadena City Special Events
- Women’s Self-Defense, March 14
- Happy Birthday South Pasadena! Staying Great Since 1888, March 15
- CERT Class, March 21
- Women’s Self-Defense, March 21
- Teen Advisory Board Movie Night, March 25
- Climate Action Plan Public Meeting at Council Chamber, March 26
- Library Volunteer Recognition Luncheon, April 17
- Eggstravaganza at Garfield Park, April 18
- Earth Day Event at Library Park, April 18
- Earth Night Event at the City’s Community Room, April 22
- Model Water Efficient Landscape Workshop at Garfield Reservoir, April 28
South Pasadena City Council and Commission Meetings
April 1 City Council Meeting (CANCELLED)
The March 18 Council Meetings will continue as scheduled, only essential business items will be on the agenda to facilitate a shorter meeting and seating arrangements will be modified to reflect recommended social distancing
Public Comments accepted via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Meetings will continue to be broadcast live on Spectrum/TWC Channel 19 and AT&T Channel 99 for cable customers who reside in the City; meetings are also live streamed and available for six months on the City’s website; DVD recordings of meetings are available at the City Clerk’s Office
South Pasadena COMMISSION MEETINGS
All commission meetings will be cancelled with the exception to the Cultural Heritage Commission, Planning Commission and Design Review Board. These commissions will continue to meet to ensure the approval of projects move forward as required by law.
Public Comments accepted via email: email@example.com
During this time, commission meetings will be broadcast live on Spectrum/TWC Channel 19 and AT&T Channel 99 for cable customers who reside in the City; meetings will also be live streamed and available for six months on the City’s website; DVD recordings of meetings will be available at the City Clerk’s Office
Pasadena and Surrounding Areas
- Norton Simon Museum cancels public events, standard operating hours remain. More information HERE
- Pasadena ArtNight (CANCELLED) – Friday, March 13
- Pasadena City College (PCC), keeps classes open, offers alternatives. More information HERE
- Mt Lowe Chamber Players concert at the Altadena Library – March 29 (CANCELLED)