With the COVID-19 (Corona Virus) spreading, so are the scammers. There have been several types of scams occur where they claim they have a vaccine or herbal remedy. Unfortunately, as of right now the FDA says there are no approved vaccines or drugs to treat or prevent the virus.
Like any scam, should you get an email or a “pop-up” window while on the computer, don’t click on any links. You could download a computer virus.
Other tips to remember:
· Be cautious of any email claiming to be from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Unless you subscribed, how did they get your email address. Go to the CDC (cdc.gov/coronavirus/) website directly to obtain information.
· Ignore offers for vaccinations. Currently, there are no vaccines, pills, herbal medicine, etc. to treat, prevent or cure the virus.
· Visit the Federal Trade Commission website to keep up-to-date regarding scams on the COVID-19 (consumer.ftc.gov/features/coronavirus-scams-what-ftc-doing).
· Visit the South Pasadena website on COVID-19 (southpasadenaca.gov/residents/covid-19-coronavirus-information) to obtain current information on how the virus affects the city.
· Remember to wash hands frequently!
The Weekly Crime Summary is a list of reported auto thefts, burglaries, robberies and other activities occurring in the City of South Pasadena. An alert and well-informed citizen makes you less of a target to a criminal. Remember; call the South Pasadena Police Department to report any suspicious activity.
- 3-13-20, 3:24 PM to 4:43 PM, 1400 block of Lyndon. 08’ Honda Odyssey. Suspect(s) takes loss from victim’s vehicle. LOSS: License plate.
- 3-14-20 8:08 PM to 8:46 PM, 1100 block of Fair Oaks (Vons). Suspect takes loss and leaves store without paying. SUSPECT ARRESTED: Male, Black, 35 years, Los Angeles. LOSS: Liquor (recovered).
- 3-11-20, 2:20 PM to 9:25 PM, 800 block of Raymond. ’04 Acura Integra. Suspect(s) shatter the front passenger side of victim’s vehicle. LOSS: None. DUI 3-14-20, 7:54 PM to 8:31 PM, Fair Oaks/Monterey. Officers respond to a call regarding a subject passed out in a running vehicle. Suspect is found to be driving under the influence of alcohol. SUSPECT ARRESTED: Male, Hispanic, 40 years, Los Angeles.
ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON
- 3-10-20, 5:23 PM to 6:04 PM, Orange Grove/Mission. Suspect gets into an argument and punches victim before running to a vehicle. Victim chases suspect and attempts to enter suspect’s vehicle. Suspect accelerates vehicle towards victim and causes victim to jump onto the hood of the vehicle. Suspect drives off while victim is hanging onto the hood. SUSPECT ARRESTED: Male, Black, 26 years, South Pasadena.
- 3-11-20, 4:40 AM to 4:57 AM, 1300 block of Huntington. Officer responds to a call regarding a subject laying down in front of a business door and finds suspect to be under the influence of alcohol and unable to care for himself. SUSPECT ARRESTED: Male, White, 36 years, Long Beach.
- 3-11-20, 5:47 AM to 6:46 AM, 1000 block of El Centro. Officers respond to a call regarding subjects causing a disturbance and find suspect 1 to be under the influence of alcohol and unable to care for himself, and suspect 2 to be in possession of a controlled substance. SUSPECTS ARRESTED: S1 – Male, White, 28 years, Glendale. S2 – Male, White, 24 years, Hollywood.
FRAUD BY FALSE PRETENSE
- 3-13-20, 12:35 PM to 6:31 PM. Suspect offers to help sell victim’s vehicle. Suspect takes possession of vehicle and ignores victim when asked about the status of the vehicle. Victim later agrees to sell vehicle to suspect, however suspect continues to ignore victim.
POSSESSION OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE
- 3-9-20, 10:56 AM to 11:18 AM, Collis/Hill. Officer conducts a traffic stop and finds suspect to be in possession of methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia. SUSPECT ARRESTED: Female, Hispanic, 27 years, Los Angeles.
TAMPER MOTOR VEHICLE
- 3-14-20, 12:16 PM to 12:32 PM, 600 block of Fair Oaks. ’15 Honda Accord. Suspect(s) attempt to gain entry into victim’s vehicle by tampering with the driver side door lock.
For graffiti removal, call the City of South Pasadena “Graffiti Removal Hotline” at 626-403-7249. This is a 24-hour a day recording. A written release is required prior to removal from private property.