Many cities in the Southland ban consumer fireworks, and South Pasadena is on the list.
While some cities, including Alhambra, allow “safe and sane” fireworks, they are not permitted within South Pasadena’s city limits, explained local Fire Chief Paul Riddle.
“Fireworks are illegal in the City of South Pasadena,” insisted Riddle, with the exception of the city’s traditional fireworks show inside the stadium at South Pasadena High School. “Along with the police department, we tell our citizens, ‘If you see something, say something.’ I can tell you, in year’s past our city has been very proactive in reporting illegal fireworks.”
Riddle says extra SPFD staff will be on duty during the 4th of July to perform patrols.
“We will work alongside our police department to make sure we enforce the law to keep our community safe,” he said, before adding: “We have one of the best fireworks shows in the region. That’s the best place to watch them.”
The message by authorities is, “Don’t push it.” In Los Angeles County, possession or use of illegal fireworks can range from a fine of up to $1,000, to one year in county jail.
Sam Hernandez, chair of the Festival of Balloons’ Committee, organizers of the daylong event in town, encourages those on the perimeter of the SPHS stadium watching the fireworks to purchase tickets (pre-sale $11, $13 at gate) and help support the show.
“It costs us more than $20,000 to put it on, and we count on the community to pay for it every year,” he said. “We’re simply trying to lower our costs by asking everyone watching it to pitch in.”
Where to purchase fireworks tickets:
– South Pasadena Fire Station, 817 Mound Avenue
– South Pasadena Senior Center, 1102 Oxley Street
– Bristol Farms, 606 Fair Oaks Avenue
– Charlie’s Coffee House, 266 Monterey Road
– Dinosaur Farm, 1510 Mission Street
– South Pasadenan, 1107 Mission Street
– Lost Parrot Café, 1929 Huntington Drive
– UPS Store, 1107 Fair Oaks Avenue
– Jones Coffee Roasters, 1006 Mission Street
Fireworks Tickets Prices and Information
- Fireworks Tickets, Pre-sale (Beginning 6/20): $11.00 per person. Kids under 3 years old are free.
- Fireworks Tickets, Day of (July 4, 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.): $11.00 per person. Kids under 3 years old are free.
- At the Pancake Breakfast (7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.)
- At Diamond & Mission / City Hall / Fair Oaks & Mission (11:00 a.m. to finish of Parade)
- At Garfield Park (12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.)
- Fireworks Tickets, At the SPHS Stadium Gate (July 4, 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.): $13.00 per person. Kids under 3 years old are free.