SPEF is offering more summer camps than ever as their summer programming continues to grow. It all started six years ago with their popular A.C. Green Camp. SPEF executive director, Stacey Peterson, reached out to A.C Green after he was at the dedication ceremony for the new SPMS gym to see if he wanted to host a camp in South Pas. It was a huge success and Peterson realized that parents wanted more local, fun, and engaging camps for their kids to be in without having to run them around the San Gabriel Valley and beyond all summer. Camps have slowly grown from there.
Peterson tells us “A.C. was big on utilizing basketball but having it be a starting point to talk to the campers about making positive choices in their lives. Strong moral and ethical character, as well as positive basketball, is the theme all week.” She goes on to explain how A.C. wanted to have high school basketball players there to volunteer and how he works on mentoring and training them to be the next generation of coaches. “We try to instill this in our other camps, encouraging high school student participation,” says Peterson, “they become mentors and teachers and it gives them something to put on a resume. Many have used SPEF as a character reference as well for work resumes.”
SPEF offers 10 camps this year:
- Next Generation Coding Camp – taught by our NGC Club students from our own High School under the supervision of Mr. Garrett Shorr.
- Soccer Skills Acadamy – in conjunction with Brit-West soccer. There are 1/2 days & full days available. 2 weeks
- Golf Academy – 2 weeks available at the Arroyo Seco Golf course with Ace Golf Academy.
- A. C. Green Basketball & Leadership Camp – A.C. Green is there all week with his coaches and he oversees the camp personally – this is not a camp only in his name – he is there the entire week.
- Tennis Camp – 2 weeks with an experienced tennis coach
- Dance Camp – SPEF is working with Ms. Cheney at our HS to bring this dance camp. There will be several instructors that work in various dance genres.
- Language Camps – both Mandarin and Spanish and 2 weeks available. These camps are for our Dual Immersion students or anyone that has some language fluency. Instruction is taught in the language but the camps are meant to be fun. Utilizing art or science projects so kids are experiencing hands-on projects, not worksheets.
- Science Exploration Camp – New this year. Hands-on science fun working in all areas of science.
- Art Exploration Camp – 2 weeks available. This camp has art projects going all day. Students rotate among 3-4 teachers experiencing art projects in various media.
Head on over to SPEF4Kids.org for more information and to sign up!