In a big South Pasadena-style step toward normalcy, the popular Arts Crawl event returns in concert with this month’s Al Fresco Day of shopping and dining on Saturday, July 17.
“Our merchants and our community members have enjoyed the festivity of our monthly al fresco days held on the third Saturday of each month,” said Laurie Wheeler, CEO of the South Pasadena Chamber of Commerce, which sponsors the event. “Now we are thrilled to bring back the Arts Crawl in combination with this month’s day of al fresco shopping and dining.”
The periodic Arts Crawl events ceased during the pandemic, along with many other community events. Known as a “neighborhood night on the town,” the Arts Crawl features many retail stores staying open for extended hours while special art displays and activities are spread throughout the business district.
Among the festivities planned for the Arts Crawl on Al Fresco Day:
- 12 artisan/crafters will set up booths in the lawn area adjacent to the South Pasadena Historical Museum
- A chalk artist will create a live drawing on the sidewalk near Menchie’s and Mike and Anne’s
- A comedy showcase will entertain in the city hall courtyard
- Live music will be featured in at least six locations including: Jones Coffee, Old Focals, Jeweled Universe, Square Deal Barbershop, Dinosaur Farm and Griffins of Kinsale.
- SPARC Gallery will host K-rail art posters and an exhibition of work by Billy Marks.
- South Pasadena Beautiful will offer a plant-related activity.
- South Pasadena Library will give out “take and make” craft kits to enjoy at home.
In addition, a number of merchants will host trunk shows, art exhibits and receptions, and interactive activities. Several eateries will feature special items, such as a special boba flavor to be offered at Teamorrow for the evening.
The Artisans Alley will bring artisans and crafters to the lawn area by the South Pasadena Historical Museum, with live music and comedians performing in several locations, along with a chalk artist.
“South Pasadena is the place to be Saturday, July 17 – daytime and evening,” Wheeler said. “Everyone is invited to eat, shop and enjoy!”
For updates on planned activities and entertainment, visit the Chamber website at southpasadena.net.