South Pasadena High’s girls volleyball team, which went deep into CIF-Southern Section competition, is now making giants strides toward a state championship after a second round 3-set victory Thursday night over Valhalla at home.
The Tigers narrowly won the first set 25-22, ran away with the second 25-13 and grabbed the final 25-23.
With Thursday’s victory, South Pasadena now hosts Linfield Christian in the state regional semifinals at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Solid play against Valhalla came from Lindsey Hirano, Katharine Florence, Lola Foord, Ava Dorny, Alyssa Sokolow, Kennedy Taylor, Abbey Garner, Carrie Fleming, and Alyssa Sokolow.
South Pasadena qualified for second round action after getting past Cleveland High of Reseda on Tuesday.
The Tigers dropped a 26-24 first set before coming back to take the next three and win the match.
South Pasadena won the second set 25-22 before winning 25-16 in the third capping the victory in the third, 25-23.
The Tigers, 35-7 overall on the season, made a historic run, becoming the first South Pasadena High team to ever reach the CIF-Southern Section Division 4 playoffs. South Pasadena was swept in three sets by Norco on November 2.
Prior to advancing to the CIF, the Tigers’ volleyball team was undefeated in Rio Hondo League competition in all three levels – varsity, junior varsity and frosh/soph.
Fall Sports Wrapping Up
As fall sports wind down, South Pasadena has plenty to boast about as the Tigers grabbed league titles in seven of the sports played.
Here’s how the teams finished in league:
- Boys Water Polo – Undefeated Rio Hondo League Champions.
- Boys Cross Country – Rio Hondo League champions.
- Girls Cross Country – Finished second in Rio Hondo League. South Pasadena High’s boys and girls cross country teams will compete Saturday in CIF action at Riverside Cross Country Course.
- Football – Finished third in league play and was beaten.
- Girls Tennis – Finished third in league play.
- Girls Golf – Fourth in league play.