It’s clear, Joumana “JB” Barakat wants to help small businesses, like those found in South Pasadena, succeed.
Representing the Foothill Workforce Development Board, “JB,” has a wealth of resources and assistance, much of which she shared during Tuesday’s Shoptalk Breakfast, hosted by the South Pasadena Chamber of Commerce, at Mike & Anne’s Restaurant in South Pasadena.
The organization is a resource for job placement services to salary assistance grants.
“JB is an expert and works with you to find ways that the FWDB can help your business!” said Chamber President Laurie Wheeler in a statement, describing Barakat’s talk, entitled: “Resources for Business Owners.”
The mission of the Foothill Workforce Development Board is to support economic growth in the San Gabriel Valley by investing in skills development and job training to ensure that businesses have qualified workforce talent and job seekers have career opportunities.
The Foothill Workforce Development Board (FWDB) serves employers and job seekers in the San Gabriel Valley, by making investments in workplace skills development and job-specific training to help workers gain skills or obtain education and credentials that employers value.
In turn, the organization builds relationships with businesses to understand their hiring needs and match qualified workers.
FWDB maintains close relationships with schools and colleges to communicate the skills that are needed in the labor market. Ultimately, it supports the economy throughout the region by making sure businesses have access to qualified, employable talent and are able to compete successfully.
The FWDB board is comprised of business owners, corporate executives, local educational organizations, labor unions, economic development agencies, government entities and community based organizations.
The FWDB guiding principles include:
- Building a strong system that will support economic development and will lead to good, living wage jobs for all;
- Providing opportunities for lifelong learning for the purpose of career advancement;
- Preparing a workforce that meets the changing needs of employers and helps businesses remain competitive;
- Building a cohesive, flexible, and responsive system, which strives for continuous improvement;
- Promoting future independence and individual accountability of our customers;
- Integrating partner organizations into the delivery system to provide full employment and on-going support for job seekers and employers.
The FWDB is one of seven workforce development boards in the Los Angeles area, serving the communities of South Pasadena, Arcadia, Duarte, Monrovia, Pasadena, and Sierra Madre.
ShopTalk meeting on the first Tuesday of every month, from 8 to – 9:15 a.m. at Mike & Anne’s Restaurant, 1040 Mission Street in South Pasadena.
The ShopTalk motto is: “Food for Thought for Your Business.”
Cost, including breakfast and presentation by a speaker each month, is $13 for South Pasadena Chamber of Commerce members and $18 for nonmembers.
For more information, call the chamber at (626) 441-2339