Before heading out on your summer vacation, the South Pasadena Police Department has a few tips beyond the typical advice to lock all windows and doors.
“With the number of residential burglaries occurring, extra care should be used while you are away,” said Richard Lee, the department’s crime prevention officer.
Remember that burglars don’t take vacations.
Her are a few tips to remember:
- Make your home appear occupied by using timers on lights, radios and television sets.
- Have a neighbor periodically check your home for any deliveries or flyers left on your front porch.
- Have mail and newspapers stopped or have them picked up by a trusted neighbor.
- Activate house alarm and make sure alarm signs can be clearly seen day and night.
- Don’t advertise that you are out of town on social media websites.
- Leave emergency contact information with a neighbor.
- Have a friend pick up parcel deliveries.
- Continue to have landscaping maintained.
- Leave emergency contact numbers with a trusted neighbor.
- Fill out a “Vacation Check Request” form at the South Pasadena police department. The form can also be downloaded from the police website. Simply fill it out and fax it to the department.
For more information about protecting your home, call (626) 403-7297 and ask for Richard Lee.