Please be advised that excessive heat is forecast through Thursday, September 5, 2019. Although the forecast calls for 96-98 degrees of heat, the humidity is forecasted at 50% and it can feel like 100 degrees.
Heat waves do not strike victims immediately, but rather their cumulative effects. Please be mindful of the vulnerable population that is at risk, they are defined as children, pregnant women and the elderly.
The City of South Pasadena will open the Cooling Centers with temperatures forecasted as follows:
Wednesday, September 4, 98 º
Thursday, September 5, 96 º
The South Pasadena Senior Center and Library serve as Cooling Centers when the temperature is forecast at 96 º or higher.
Both facilities offer cold water and facilities with air conditioning for the public. Facilities hours are as follows:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
|10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
11:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. If you plan to be outdoors, please take precautions from the sun and heat:
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate more!
- Avoid the sun from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. when the burning rays are strongest.
- Reduce physical activity.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat and light colored lightweight, loose-fitting clothes when you are outdoors.
- Avoid hot, heavy meals that include proteins.
- Set your air conditioner between 75° to 80°. If you don’t have air-conditioning take a cool shower twice a day and visit a public air conditioned facility.
- Check on elderly neighbors and family and friends who do not have air conditioning.
- Drink plenty of fluids even if you are not thirsty. Avoid alcohol.
- Use sun screen with a sun protection factor of at least 15 if you need to be in the sun.
- Don’t forget about pets, they need plenty of water and shade.
Symptoms of dehydration and heat cramps include dizziness, fatigue, faintness, headaches, muscle cramps and increased thirst.
Should you have questions contact the South Pasadena Senior Center at (626) 403-7360 South Pasadena Public Library at (626) 403-7330