While it will be a night for trick-or-treating, parents should not fear ghosts and witches, but traffic and child safety instead, noted South Pasadena Crime Prevention Officer Richard Lee.
Lee passes along the following important Halloween safety tips:
- Never trick-or-treat alone! Parents should accompany small children.
- Keep costumes short to prevent trips and falls.
- Wear reflective tape or bright colors so you can be seen at night.
- Be sure masks do NOT impair visibility or hearing.
- Take a digital photo of your child wearing their costume.
- Remind children to cross streets at crosswalks and obey all traffic laws.
- At night, carry a flashlight and stay on well-lit streets.
- Provide your child a cellphone in case of emergencies.
- Remember to drive slowly and watch for trick-or-treaters.
- Know where the nearest “Emergency Call Boxes” are along your route. These are identified by a blue light at the top of a red pole, and connect directly to the police department.
- Vandalism is a crime, respect people’s property.
- Have parents check all treats before eating them.
For life-threatening emergencies always call 9-1-1. Those seeing something suspicious, are encouraged to call the South Pasadena Police Department at (626) 403-7297.