In an effort to keep kids safe, the South Pasadena Police Department has issued a series of tips for parents as they walk their children throughout neighborhood streets on Halloween night.
“Parents should not fear ghost and witches, but traffic and children safety instead,” said SPPD Officer Richard Lee, who offers some easy and effective behaviors parents can share with kids reduce their risk of injury.
- Never trick-or-treat alone. Parents should accompany small children.
- Take a digital photo of your child wearing his or her costume.
- Map out an area where your children will be trick-or-treating.
- Children should wear reflective tape or bright colors so they can be seen at night.
- Be sure masks do not impair visibility or hearing.
- In case of emergency, provide your child with a cell phone.
- Remind children to cross streets at crosswalks and obey all traffic laws.
- Know where the nearest “Emergency Call Boxes” are located in the city. Call boxes identified by a blue light at the top of a red pole. Phones connect directly to the police department and are located at certain intersections throughout the city.
- Parents should check all treats before children consume them.