Schools will soon be opening, bringing traffic congestion around them, warn South Pasadena Police Department officials.
They say motorists, parents and children will all need to be cautious as public schools open August 15 in the city.
Here are some safety tips to remember:
- Do not double-park to drop off/pick-up your children.
- Remember it is illegal and unsafe to make “u-turns” in a school zone.
- Obey crossing guards and all traffic laws.
- Follow school’s drop-off and pick-up-procedures.
- Remind children to cross streets at designated crosswalks and not to “jaywalk.”
- Remember speed limit around schools is 25 MPH.
- Parents should avoid being on cell phones when dropping off children.
- Be sure your children know how to contact you in case of an emergency.
- Consider taking a photo of your child with your cell phone each morning so you have a current photo and clothing worn for the day.
- Know where the nearest “Emergency Call Boxes” are located on your route to and from school. These call boxes have a blue light on top of a red pole and connect directly to the police department.