South Pasadena Educational Foundation is proud to bring the community the 2018 Color Festival! In the spirit of the India Holi Festival, celebrating the coming of Spring, SPEF brings you this highly anticipated, family friendly event that brings together our local communities and families to celebrate with food, music, dancing and fun!
Color Festival chair, Jean Zenas, tells us she is very excited with the new layout of the festival and new vendors this year and says, “we’re expecting 2000 people over the course of the day, bigger than ever; more prizes, more music, more of everything.” It’s become such a popular event that appeals to folks from outside South Pasadena that Zenas says “we have people coming from Eagle Rock, Silverlake, we even had people coming over from Santa Monica last year. It’s fun for the whole family but we’re getting more middle schoolers involved this year by having a couple of groups perform.” All in all, South Pasadena is in for a very big day full of families, fun and lots of COLOR!
Some highlights of the day include some numbers being performed by the cast of HAIRSPRAY at 10:45am followed by Yogen’s Bollywood Step Dancers at 11:15 who will perform dances as well as lead some Bollywood dance instruction!
The Color Festival takes place on Saturday April 21 from 10 a.m – 3 p.m. at the South Pasadena Unified School District parking lot at 1020 El Centro. Check the SPEF website for more information on how you can volunteer or become a sponsor.
Tips for Color Festival
- Don’t worry! The color is non-toxic. Just colored cornstarch and food grade coloring.
- Do bring a plastic, sealable baggie for your phone. You will want to take pictures but you don’t want to ruin your phone/camera. Waterproof smartphone bags work as well.
- Do bring a bandana to cover your mouth and nose if you plan to get doused. There will be inexpensive bandanas available for purchase at the event
- Do wear sunglasses
- Don’t wear anything too precious. The color may or may not come out of your clothes and shoes so wear old ones that you don’t mind getting mucked up a bit. As for your shirt, you can spray it with vinegar and iron in the color if you want to keep it as a souvenir. (What a cool idea!)
- Do wear white! Most everyone wears a white shirt, and you can go all our with white headbands, shorts, knee socks…whatever you like!